Fifth Haiku Pacific Rim Conference – September 5-9, 2012
Haiku Pacific Rim 2012, hosted by the Yuki Teikei Haiku Society and the Haiku Poets of Northern California, will be held in Pacific Grove, California, at the Asilomar State Beach and Conference Center. Asilomar is situated directly on the Pacific Coast in the beautiful natural setting of the Monterey Peninsula of California. The annual Yuki Teikei Haiku Retreat will be combined with the Haiku Pacific Rim Conference, which features the participation of haiku poets from the nations around the Pacific rim: Japan, Australia, New Zealand, India, United States, and Canada, among others.
The Conference will meet begin on Wednesday September 5 with travel from San Francisco to the Asilomar State Beach and Conference Center for four days of activity and conferences, ending on Sunday September 9. On the way to Asilomar the conferees will visit Point Lobos State Park for a lunch and ginkgo. On the return to San Francisco on Sunday the conferees will visit the charming village of Carmel-by-the-Sea.
The keynote speaker will be Dr. Akito Arima, a distinguished educator and haiku master of the Ten’I Haiku Group of Japan.
Anticipated Program to include:
- Keynote Speaker: Dr. Akito Arima
- Ginkos at Point Lobos State Park and Asilomar Beach
- Haiku Lectures
- Poetry Readings
- Craft Project
- Renku Writing
- Haiku Organization Displays
- Book Display and Sale Tables
- Preconference: Tuesday, September 4—Visitors arrive in San Francisco, overnight at the Hotel Tomo or Hotel Kabuki
- Wednesday, September 5—9:00 AM, travel to Point Lobos for start of Conference at 12:00 PM; picnic lunch and ginko, then travel to nearby Asilomar;
- Thursday, September 6—Asilomar
- Friday, September 7—Asilomar
- Saturday, September 8—Asilomar; farewell dinner
- Sunday, September 9—Asilomar; 1:00 PM, travel to the charming town of Carmel-by-the-Sea for a leisurely afternoon, at 4 PM travel Hotel Tomo or Hotel Kabuki in San Francisco